Let's find you the perfect diamond.
99% of jewellers in South Africa don’t own more than 5 diamonds. The stock lists on their websites? Not their diamonds.
They list a compilation of local diamond dealer's stock to which they've added a nice margin. Although everyone claims to have the best prices and be free from the dreaded "middle men" - they're not.
With the vast majority (99.9%) of diamonds being cut in countries other than South Africa the supply chains looks like this:
International Diamond Cutting Factory (India, China, Botswana, Russia) -> International Diamond Dealer (India, Belgium, Israel, New York) -> SA Diamond Dealer -> Jeweller -> You.
Factor in that jewellers return most of their consignment stock to diamond dealers and you’ll understand why diamond dealers rely on generous margins on the diamonds that do sell through jeweller’s channels. It’s resource (capital, time and effort) intensive. There is nothing "direct" about this model. Typing “direct” on your website doesn’t shorten your supply chain.
At Poggenpoel we spend hours per day sourcing parcels of diamonds from the largest diamond cutting factories in the world. We are able to drive down prices with the volume of our purchases and through relationships we’ve been building for 19 years. I’m not saying we’re one of the largest buyers in the world but we do buy at a level factories see as “bulk”. We never return stock. Factories get immediate payment. We don’t buy on terms.
This is direct. This is how we get these amazing deals directly to your screen.
Basic tips in this up to R30 000 price bracket;
- Size wise you should be looking at 0,50ct - 0,80ct diamonds. Any larger and you'll probably have a visibly included or prominently off-colour diamond.
- There is no real benefit to go for top clarities (IF, VVS1, VVS2) in this size/price range. If possible keep to SI1 and better. You can absolutely get a 100% eye-clean diamond of a decent size in this price bracket.
- Cushion cut diamonds offer tremendous value.
- You'll notice the massive jump in price from one colour to the next. Same with clarity. Diamond grading starts playing a prominent role in the price of a diamond and we recommend you stick to GIA or DIA. As far as I know EGL (regardless of which branch) is still banned from major international trading platforms. To err on the side of due caution and transparency we don't stock EGL certified diamonds. You're welcome to read stance on the issue of diamond over-grading.
- If you buy your centre diamond from Poggenpoel Diamond Jewellers you'll always receive 100% credit when you upgrade in the future so don't lose too much sleep...
Currently these are my top picks in the up to R30 000 range;
|Round Brilliant||0.74ct||Lt Fancy Yellow||SI2||DIA||12071653||R21,090|
Feel free to browse the other budget brackets;
*If you're looking for something very specific please reach out. You'll be amazed at the quality of the options we can source for you internationally.